Happy New Year My Friends!
I have roused myself from the holiday reverie with enthusiasm and optimism for the exciting year ahead! Daring greatly is not always comfortable, and I am grateful for the confidence of the Nominating Committee, the 2017 Board, and voting members in handing me the reins of our institution. Touched by the enthusiastic support of Honorary President Mirna Toubassi, wife of the Palestinian Ambassador, I am eager to serve our club in the new year.
Although I am a relative newcomer, it was already in the first few weeks into my membership that I was struck by the overwhelming devotion our members have for our club.
Committed to maintaining the uniqueness of the WIC experience, each member invests her exceptional talent and energy to our program every day. I was honored to serve with the dedicated members of the 2017 Board and have witnessed first hand the dynamism that Rania, and Cristina and Leopoldine before her, brought to the position of President. I can also pay testimony to the precious framework provided by Circle Leaders that fosters the development of close friendships. Bolstered by our cultural activities, annual trip, membership management, close attention to the safeguarding of records and finances, and the enthusiasm of an Honorary President, the WIC legacy is a monument to dedication and "filia". With the transient nature of so many of our lives today, the club provides us an indispensable safe harbor.
And no service could be more important - and more life-giving - that coming to know one another within this robust foundation of friendship and cultural exchange. This year we will continue to dedicate our program to these two pillars of WIC life: Friendship and Culture.
Because cultural heritage does not begin and end with Antiquity and the beautiful museums that are testament to a glorious past, we will spend time exploring what UNESCO has labeled "Intangible Cultural Heritage": traditions, knowledge and current cultural manifestations that continue to inform the Greek identity. Our first stop of discovery will be our January GM at the Parnassos Literary Society, a cultural institution in and of itself. Come and enjoy a short program and lunch in the beautiful upper galleries - let's enjoy our journey together!
Welcome to the website of the 'Women's International Club Athens', abbreviated 'WIC' and founded in 1976 to foster mutual understanding and friendship among women from all over the world who live in Athens, Greece. WIC members are made up of 60 different nationalities who as such promote a constant cultural and interesting exchange through our social and educational meetings.
The Club holds monthly meetings where invited speakers present their expertise and knowledge in fields such as psychology, medicine, art and history etc. with a lively discussion after the presentation. The lunch that follows gives an opportunity to catch up with old friends and make new ones.
WIC Athens organises Meetings, Events and Activities on a variety of subjects. Embassies also invite the WIC Ladies for interesting Meet-my-Country presentations.
January 2017General Meeting
February 2017General Meeting
- Carnival Party
- i-Tech Workshop
- Meet My Country Belgium
- WIC Visit to the Ermitage Collection at Byzantine Museum
March 2017General Meeting
- WIC Daytrip to Thebes
- WIC Intl Womens Day at Jordanian Residence
April 2017General Meeting
- Tour of Athens in the Ottoman Years
- WIC New Members Coffee Morning hosted by Sana Cherfan
- WIC Visit to the Botanical Garden
May 2017General Meeting Board
- General Meeting and WIC Rome Visit
- Khalil Gibran Poetry at Lebanese Residence
- WIC Trip to Kalamata
June 2017General Meeting
- Excursion to Lake Vouliagmeni
- Magical Tunisian Evening
Fall 2017September GM
- WIC Readers
- WIC English Conversation
- Walking Group & Greek Conversation
January 2018AGM at Parnassos Literary
The Executive Board 2018
- Mirna Toubassi, Honorary President
- Sarajane Kidd Leone, President
- Sana Cherfan, Vice President
- Helen Varvaritis, Treasurer
- Martha Murray, Recording Secretary
- Xenia Stefanidou, Programme Officer
- Linda Kontovounissiou, Activities Officer
- Antonia Petrogiannis, Activities Officer
- Elisabeth Petsetaki, Hospitality Officer
- Christiane Ghaba Lygeros, Membership Officer
- Anita Robert, Publication Officer
Our Circles are a great way to deepen friendships among our members and serve various interests like the 'Book and Film Discussion Circle', the 'Wine Tasting Circle', 'Cosmic Research'. 'French Poetry', 'Cooking Circles', the 'Play Reading Circle' and even a 'WIC Choir'. The 'Conversation Circles' include these languages: Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, Greek and English.
- Spanish Conversation, Jeaneth Zelou - Figueroa, Begonia Kalliga
- French Conversation, Angela Struecker
- Italian Conversation, Aza Holis - Voskeritchian
- Greek Conversation, Anthea Gavoyannis, Olga Roupas
- English Conversation, Bridget Coscoros
- French Poetry, Dora Lestenko
- Linda Kontovounissiou, Activities Officer
- Film & Book Discussion, Poppy Stratis
- Walking in Nature, Antonia Petrogianis
- Book Club, Juta Zois
- Drama/Play Reading, Penny Smith
- Biriba & The Readers, Erika Akrivou
- Ethnic Cooking, Cristina Butler
- Cooking for Pleasure, Helen Mina-Souris
- WIC Choraleers, Jean Gerakis, Marcia Spartinos
- The Debate, Sarajane Kidd-Leone, Suha Dorkhom
- Greek Dancing, Marlene Seymour
- The Collectors, Loukia Nicola Tsigos
- Cosmic Research, Charlotte Scarpidis
- Crochet, Sana Cherfan
- Greek Civilization, Lila de Chaves